Helix Dawn Mattress
The Helix Dawn is Helix's firmest mattress to date, offering excellent cooling, temperature regulation, and pressure relief thanks to its unique construction. It has a firm feel and gives exceptional support for back and stomach sleepers, aiding the alignment of the spine and keeping the hips elevated.
Helix Dawn Mattress
Exclusive Discounts Available - Get The Best Price Now
The sleep technology brand Helix provides a wide variety of products like mattresses, bedding, and bed frames. These products are tailored to fit various sleeping positions and body weights. They aim to give sleepers the best sleep experience possible and to target most sleeper’s preferences and needs.
The Helix Dawn mattress is Helix’s most firm bed in all of their collections. It has a standard combination of layers in its construction. Despite that, the mattress provides exceptional body contouring and cooling features. It also excels in terms of support and pressure relief.
In this article, we will discuss the following for the Helix Dawn mattress:
- Who we recommend this mattress for
- Unboxing Experience
- Firmness, Feel, and Comfort
- Constructions, Material, and Design
- Warranty and Company Policies
- FAQs about the mattress
- Final Verdict
Note: We will be testing the Helix Dawn mattress, featuring the innovative GlacioTex cooling top cover, for our review.
Helix Dawn Mattress Overview
- Great Cooling: The Helix Dawn mattress has a top cover that is designed to regulate temperature. It incorporates GlacioTex which is Helix’s advanced cooling technology that actively dissipates body heat and keeps the mattress’s surface cool for you to sleep on. This mattress also includes a layer of individually wrapped coils that have an open structure which allows air circulation throughout the mattress, preventing heat retention.
- Superior support: The Dawn mattress is Helix’s firmest mattress out of all their mattress collections. It consists of individually wrapped coils that adapt to your body’s shape and movement and provide exceptional pressure relief and targeted support. In addition to the DuraDense foam base layer which helps distribute weight evenly and provides a stable and supportive foundation for the entire mattress layers.
- Budget-Friendly: In the Dawn mattress, Helix added cost-effective materials that are still capable of providing comfort and support for sleepers. It has a simple construction that makes it an affordable choice for the vast majority of people.
- Too Firm for Side Sleepers: Side sleepers require a mattress that offers adequate softness to cushion their bodies and alleviate pressure points in areas like the hips and shoulders. A mattress like The Helix Sunset would be a more suitable option for this sleeping position.
Who we Recommend the Helix Dawn Mattress for
- Hot Sleepers: The Helix Dawn includes several cooling features that make it a great choice for people who tend to sleep hot at night. It is topped with a cooling cover infused with GalioTex, and the open structure of the individually wrapped coils that allows for natural ventilation. These two work together to maintain a cooler temperature for the mattress.
- Stomach Sleepers: This mattress will allow stomach sleepers to benefit from its firmness. Its supportive foundation will prevent the lower back from arching and resulting in spinal misalignment. It’ll also ensure the elevation of the hips which is beneficial if you sleep on your stomach.
- Back Sleepers: The Helix Dawn mattress will grant back sleepers the needed level of support and comfort. It has a firm firmness level which will be sufficient to maintain proper spinal alignment. The mattress will be able to deliver comfort without any excessive sinkage, eliminating the chances of maximized pressure points.
- Heavier Body Weights: A mattress that can withstand additional load and has great durability is the perfect mattress for any plus-size sleeper, and the Helix Dawn is just that. It can maintain its structural integrity over time and will provide sleepers with the required support without letting them sink too deeply.
Unboxing the Helix Dawn Mattress
Unboxing the Helix Dawn mattress upon arrival was as easy as ever. We did not face any issues trying to unbox it, and we can safely say that getting help is definitely optional in this case, as the mattress is not as heavy as average mattresses.
The mattress’s construction is pretty simple, which allows for a quick expansion process for the mattress. As for the edges of the mattress, they are fully inflated to their regular shape, ensuring a consistent and supportive surface for sleepers around the mattress’s perimeter and indicating great corner expansion.
Mattresses often release a strong smell upon unboxing, which is known as off-gassing. This is normal, as mattresses release volatile organic compounds. It is a non-toxic odor that should dissipate within 3 days at maximum.
Firmness, Feel, and Comfort For Helix Dawn
Helix Dawn Mattress Firmness
The Helix Dawn mattress scores a 7.5/10 in terms of firmness, which makes it a firm bed. This means that it will provide sleepers with minimal sinkage and will feel relatively firm and supportive on the surface. This will mainly benefit back sleepers and stomach sleepers.
It also makes for a great mattress for those who prefer an on-top feel rather than the feeling of being enveloped by the mattress.
It is important to note that this mattress will most likely feel firmer to sleepers of lighter weights, which can result in increased pressure points and discomfort while sleeping.
Helix Dawn Mattress Feel
For a mattress with a firmness level of 7.5, like the Helix Dawn, it is very likely that you’ll get a notably firm and supportive feel. This will be great for people who prefer a sense of stability from the surface of the mattress.
The top cover of the Helix Dawn mattress we received was infused with GlacioTex™, which is an advanced cooling technology that will allow for better airflow and temperature regulation, guaranteeing a comfortable and cool sleep.
Upon laying on the mattress, we felt the combination of a firm yet supportive surface. It stayed cool and temperature-neutral after lying on it for quite some time.
Helix Dawn Mattress Comfort
The comfort of any mattress is subjective and depends on the personal preferences of each and every sleeper. This may vary based on their sleep position, comfort needs, and body weight.
The Helix Dawn is a firm mattress that aims to provide a supportive surface for sleepers.
We tested out the Helix Dawn Mattress to see how it performs in different sleeping positions and for various body weights.
We concluded from the results of our test that the Dawn mattress will best fit back sleepers and stomach sleepers, as it will deliver the firmness level and support that they look for to help with spinal alignment. It also works for plus-size sleepers, as it will give them the durability and security they need thanks to the supportive foundation of the mattress.
As for sleepers of lighter weights, we believe they will struggle to find comfort in the Dawn mattress. It will feel firmer and will not provide them with the pressure relief they need. This will cause them a significant level of discomfort and potential pain in sensitive areas of the body.
|Lightweight (Under 150 lb)
|Average (150 – 250 lb)
|Above Average (Over 250 lb)
We will discuss below the results shown in our pressure relief test.
Constructions, Materials, and Design
Materials and Design
In the Helix Dawn mattress, each layer aims to serve a purpose. All together, these layers provide the mattress with a balance of comfort, support, and cooling abilities. Their top cover options, followed by the comfort and transition layers, work together to provide a supportive and cool sleeping surface. The reinforced coils and dense foam add to the mattress’s durability and enhance its longevity.
- Top Cover: This layer gives the mattress a cool and soft surface for sleepers. Helix allows you to choose between their Breathe Knit cover, their GlacioTex cooling cover, and their GlacioTex pillow top. The Breathe Knit cover is made to enhance breathability and promote airflow. It’s a lightweight cover that gives you a comfortable sleeping surface. As for the second option, it includes GlacioTex technology, which is engineered to dissipate heat and allow temperature regulation within the mattress. Finally, they offer another option similar to the GlacioTex cooling cover, with the addition of a plush and cool-to-the-touch surface that gives you extra comfort. These options take personalized comfort to the next level, which makes them a great feature for hot sleepers.
- Helix Dynamic Foam: This dynamic comfort layer adapts to your body’s changes of movement, allowing you to switch positions during the night. It also works wonders at contouring the body, providing it with pressure relief and support.
- Helix Responsive Foam: This is an additional comfort layer in the Dawn mattress that adds to its responsiveness. This facilitates switching positions, which is especially beneficial for combination sleepers.
- Transition layer: This Helix responsive foam provides a smooth transition between the soft comfort layers and the firm support layers beneath it, so it can evenly distribute your body weight and prevent you from sinking too deep into the mattress.
- Wrapped Coils: The Dawn mattress incorporates more than 1,000 individually wrapped coils that move independently to enhance body contouring and reduce motion transfer between partners that share the bed. It also promotes sleep quality by reducing certain pressure points and aligning the spine in a healthy way.
- DuraDense Foam: This layer is considered to be the foundation base of all of the layers above. It adds durability to the mattress, ensuring a reliable and long-lasting structure.
Performance of Helix Dawn Mattress
Cooling performance is a necessity for those who tend to sleep hot during the night. It is evaluated based on the mattress’s ability to actively regulate temperature.
In the Helix Dawn mattress, we can find a layer of individually wrapped coils, which play a big role in allowing plenty of airflow throughout the mattress and enhancing the overall cooling performance of the mattress. This will allow sleepers to enjoy a sleeping experience without excessive heat.
We performed a cooling performance test on the Helix Dawn mattress by lying on it for 20 minutes and monitoring it for any body heat build-up.
We found that the Dawn mattress showed great signs of cooling, as we did not feel any heat retention during our test, which indicates the presence of active temperature regulation.
For cooling performance, the Helix Dawn mattress scores a 4.3/5
The responsiveness of a mattress allows for ease of movement and adaptability, which is relevant to sleepers who switch positions during the night. It also ensures that you won’t get stuck while lying on the mattress. This is a crucial factor to consider for people with limited mobility. If a mattress has a slow response time, it will probably result in a struggle to change positions or get in and out of bed.
To test the responsiveness of the Helix Dawn mattress, we conducted a simple but effective test. We placed a 20-pound ball on the mattress and waited a second for the ball to settle. Then, we removed the ball and measured how long it took for the mattress to fully recover its shape.
The Helix Dawn mattress took 0.6 seconds for response time, which indicates that this mattress is highly responsive. This comes from the individually wrapped coils, which allow each coil to move on its own and give it the ability to adapt to your changes in movements.
Regarding responsiveness, we rate the Helix Dawn mattress a 4.8/5
Motion isolation is essential for couples or people who share a bed together. It refers to the mattress’s ability to absorb motion and reduce the possibility of motion transfer. When motion transfer and disturbance are reduced, sleepers can efficiently receive their peaceful sleep and enjoy a better quality of sleep.
To test that, we placed a glass half full of water on top of the mattress and dropped a 20-pound ball on the other side. The water moved slightly around during the test, which indicated the mattress's above-average motion isolation.
We conducted another test as well to see how well the mattress would isolate motion from a partner. We had one person lie on one side of the mattress while the other person rolled around on the other side. The person lying still reported that they felt movement coming from the side of the mattress.
In terms of motion isolation, the Helix Dawn showed average performance. This might be a result of the lack of memory foam required to absorb enough motion for the mattress to give it the feature of motion isolation.
We rate the Helix Dawn mattress a 3/5 for motion isolation performance.
Individuals who tend to use the entire surface of the mattress or even just the side will benefit from a mattress with great edge support.
We tested the edge support of the Helix Dawn by applying pressure to the edges and monitoring the mattress for levels of compression. We felt sufficient counterpressure from the layers, and the edges did spring back into shape when we removed the pressure.
We also sat on the edges of the mattress and felt it sink in slightly, but we did not get any roll-off sensation from doing so.
The Helix Dawn mattress’s perimeter felt supportive and sturdy. The edge support on this mattress is exceptional as a result of the firmness of support provided by the reinforced coils in its structure.
We rate the Helix Dawn Mattress a 4.8/5 in terms of edge support.
Light or sensitive sleepers should look more into mattresses with great noise performance. A quiet mattress will prevent any potential sleep disturbances, allowing sleepers to enjoy a comfortable and peaceful sleep.
We conducted a noise test on the Helix Dawn mattress by dropping a 20-pound ball onto it. We used highly sensitive microphones to listen for any squeaks or noises, but we didn't hear anything.
The Helix Dawn mattress scored a 5/5 on the noise test.
A mattress with good sex performance has to include good features in factors like bounce, noise levels, responsiveness, and edge support. It is essential for couples or intimate partners to seek a mattress that will aid in enhanced sex performance.
The Helix Dawn mattress showed moderate levels of bounce, which means it will do the job for most couples when it comes to sex performance. As for noise, we previously concluded from our noise performance test that the Dawn mattress does not emit any noise or cause disturbances.
For responsiveness, the Helix Dawn performed exceptionally well, as we saw a shorter response time than average during our performance test. Finally, the edge support performance on the Helix Dawn mattress was phenomenal and will be ideal for all couples as it will provide them with a feeling of security, allowing them to use the entire top surface area of the bed.
We rate the Helix Dawn mattress a 4.5/5 for sex performance.
Mattresses that come with good pressure relief features are beneficial, as they allow sleepers of all kinds to enjoy a sleeping experience without having to worry about feeling discomfort or waking up with the usual stiffness.
We used a pressure map to test and evaluate the mattress’s ability to reduce pressure in certain areas of the body by displaying the pressure distribution. The results showed the following:
- Back Region: The pressure displayed a combination of blue colors on the map for the back region. This indicates the mattress’s excellent pressure relief, which is important for maintaining spinal alignment and providing support, making it an ideal mattress for people who struggle with back pain.
- Shoulders Region: For the shoulder area, we noticed a consistent green color on the pressure map. The firmness level of this mattress does not allow for an ideal level of pressure relief in the shoulder region. This will be a struggle for people who prefer to sleep by their sides.
- Hips Region: The hip region showed maximized pressure points with a mix of green and yellow colors. Although we don’t believe it will provide the needed pressure relief for side sleepers,
The Helix Dawn mattress showed good pressure relief only in the back area and moderate to poor pressure relief in the shoulders and hip region. The majority of sleepers will find this mattress suitable for their preferences, except for side sleepers, as they will face issues regarding increased pressure points, stiffness, and discomfort.
The Helix Dawn rates a 3.5/5 on our pressure relief performance test.
Helix Warranty and Company Policies
The Helix Dawn mattress is covered by a 10-year limited warranty. This warranty covers manufacturing defects like problems with the materials or structural issues in the mattress.
Helix offers a 100-night trial to allow customers to test out the Helix Dawn mattress in the comfort of their own homes. This gives you peace of mind and will help you make an informed decision about your mattress investment. We recommend giving the mattress at least 20 days to fully adjust to it.
If, within the 100 nights of the trial, you find yourself unsatisfied with the mattress, Helix facilitates an easy return process. All you need to do is request a return, and their customer service will issue a full refund for you.
Helix offers free shipping services across the United States. They will deliver their high-quality mattresses directly to your doorstep at no additional charge. This ensures customer satisfaction and adds value to the overall purchase.
In the table below, the current prices of the Helix Dawn mattress according to size are demonstrated. These prices are before discounts, so make sure to check their website.
|38″ x 74″ x 11.5″
|38″ x 80″ x 11.5″
|54″ x 75″ x 11.5″
|60″ x 80″ x 11.5″
|76″ x 80″ x 11.5″
|72″ x 84″ x 11.5″
We believe the Helix Dawn mattress’s price is worth the purchase for back and stomach sleepers. It has high-quality materials included, yet a very simple and straightforward design that will give you a comfortable and cool sleep experience. It is important, when looking for a mattress, to find a balance between something within your budget and the features that matter most to you.
|10-Year Warranty Mattress
|100-Nights Free Trial
|Free Shipping in Canada and the United States
|Zero Interest - Via Affirm
|Country of Origin
|Proudly made in the United States
FAQs about Helix Dawn
What is the difference between Dawn and Dawn Luxe?
The Helix Dawn Luxe mattress is an upgraded version of the Helix Dawn, with the addition of a pillow top layer that gives the mattress’s surface a plush feel and softens the firmness level of the mattress, making it more suitable for people who sleep on their side.
Is the Helix Dawn mattress a hybrid?
The Helix Dawn is a hybrid mattress that incorporates a layer of individually wrapped coils between other layers made of memory foam. They both work to provide comfort and support to the structure of the mattress.
Is the Helix Dawn mattress too firm?
The Helix Dawn mattress has a firmness level of 7.5/10, which makes it a firm mattress. While this firmness profile of the mattress can be beneficial for back sleepers or stomach sleepers, it will not work best for those who sleep on their side, as it’ll increase pressure points and cause discomfort during their sleep.
The Helix Dawn mattress has a firm firmness profile, which will suit those who are looking for a mattress with great durability and support.
We can confidently say that stomach sleepers and back sleepers will enjoy this mattress, as it will give them the support and comfort that they need, allowing them to get a restful sleep.
Helix Dawn Mattress
Exclusive Discounts Available - Get The Best Price Now