We found the Helix Midnight to be a great overall mattress.
We can easily recommend the Helix Midnight Mattress to people who are looking for:
- Strong edge support to utilize the full area of the bed.
- Great motion isolation - great for couples
- Springy and responsive feeling mattress.
With that being said, it was a close call, but the Helix Midnight doesn't take the top spot for the Best Luxury Hybrid mattress. Which still goes to the Layla Hybrid Mattress.
Read below the review to know the details and know for yourself.
Overview of the Helix Midnight Mattress
Ideal for lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight back sleepers.
Ideal for lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight side sleepers.
Ideal for sleepers who shift position often while sleeping.
This bed has great motion isolation so you will not feel your partner tossing and turning at night and other great features made for couples in mind.
Layla Hybrid Mattress
GET $200 OFF + FREE Comfy Bundle + 2 FREE Premium Pillows
The Helix Midnight is one of six hybrid bed-in-a-box mattresses offered by Helix. It is available in two versions: basic and deluxe. The luxurious version includes extras like a cushion top and zoned support. The Midnight is a medium-soft/medium-firm mattress that rates squarely in the middle of Helix's six mattresses in terms of firmness.
But is it appropriate for your individual sleep requirements? The Helix Midnight may or may not work for you depending on your body weight, preferred sleeping position, and whether or not you sleep with a spouse or a pet. Check out some of our suggestions below.
Consider Helix Midnight Mattress if
- Couples - Both the Midnight and Midnight Luxe are excellent choices for couples, in my opinion. They offer little motion transmission, so you won't be bothered by your partner's movements, and they have decent edge support, so you may utilise the entire mattress.
- Combination sleepers - Will likely be satisfied with any type because they both provide some bounce. They won't feel "trapped" in bed, and changing positions should be simple.
- Back sleepers and Side sleepers - Both models are good. They both have a medium-soft to medium-firm feel that should suit both of these sleepers**. Side sleepers, in particular, should like the Midnight Luxe edition**.
Avoid Helix Midnight Mattress if
- Heavy sleepers - Should avoid the Midnight mattress (those over 250 pounds). I don't believe the Midnight will provide the assistance these people require. Instead, I'd attempt the deluxe edition. The Helix Plus mattress, which is particularly intended for bigger body types.
- Stomach sleepers - I believe they will find this mattress excessively soft. I'd recommend the firmer Helix Dawn.
- Memory foam sleepers - will not find the slow-moving or deep sinkage sensation they want in a mattress with the Helix Midnight.
Firmness, Feel and Comfort for Helix Midnight Mattress
Let's talk about how the Helix Midnight truly feels when you use it.
Before we begin, keep in mind that mattress firmness is not an objective metric. Your weight, sleeping posture, and personal preferences will determine how firm or soft each specific model is.
Helix Midnight scored a 6 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale (with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest) after resting on it for a period, classifying it as medium-soft to medium-firm. It's ideal for side or back sleepers because it's supportive without placing strain on your joints. Because of its hybrid structure, the model provides a great bouncing sensation. That means it's simple to roll around on, so changing positions during night shouldn't be a problem.
The Midnight Luxe offers an additional cushion top layer as well as zoned support. It seems more cushioned than the ordinary Midnight, and I assigned it a firmness rating of 6 out of 10. I'd highly suggest this mattress to back pain sufferers, since targeted support promotes healthy, straight spinal alignment.
Performance of Helix Midnight Mattress
After evaluating how a mattress feels, I prefer to undertake a few specific tests on the models I evaluate so that I can provide additional information about how they work and what type of sleeper they best fit. Continue reading to discover how the Helix Midnight compares.
Is the Helix Midnight a Good Mattress for Light Sleepers (Under 130 lbs)?
- Light Back Sleepers - These sleepers will be pleased with the Midnight or Midnight Luxe because of the wonderful contouring at the lower back.
- Lighter Side Sleepers - Lighter side sleepers may be satisfied with any Midnight model, but I'd also suggest they look for a softer bed for greater pressure alleviation.
- Light Stomach Sleepers - Light stomach sleepers who simply spend a portion of the night on their stomachs may be content with the Midnight Luxe. However, in general, I would advise these sleepers to choose a firmer mattress.
Is the Helix Midnight a Good Mattress for Average Weight Sleepers (130 – 250 lbs)?
- Back Sleepers of Average Weight - These people should be OK with any Midnight model. Both will provide a good mix of pressure alleviation and support. If you have back discomfort, I recommend the Midnight Luxe, which has a bit more lumbar support than the normal model.
- Side Sleepers of Average Weight - The regular Midnight is a good option for side sleepers. It will not put undue strain on your shoulders, hips, or other delicate joints. The Midnight Luxe may also be a nice option for these sleepers because of its plusher feel.
- Average-Weight Stomach Sleepers - Neither bed is suitable for severe stomach sleepers, who require a firmer mattress to provide sufficient spinal support. Instead, have a look at our top mattresses for stomach sleepers.
Is the Helix Midnight a Good Mattress for Heavy Sleepers (over 250 lbs)?
- Heavy Back Sleepers - The Midnight Luxe may be suitable for heavy back sleepers. Its zoned support system provides a lot of lift around the hips, which should help these people.
- Heavy Side Sleepers - The Midnight Luxe may also be suitable for heavy side sleepers. It should provide them with some good pressure relief while also assisting them in maintaining a healthy spinal alignment.
- Heavy Stomach Sleepers - For heavier stomach sleepers, neither Midnight mattress is supportive enough. One of our top mattresses for stomach sleepers could be a better option.
Helix Midnight Mattress Pain Relief Performance
When selecting a bed, pain alleviation is an essential thing to consider. It's also closely related to pressure relief, which is a measurement of how effectively a bed cushions sensitive pressure points all over the body.
I use a pressure map to assess how a mattress releases pressure, which is essentially a specific mat that you put on top of a mattress and lie down on to observe how much pressure is imposed on different sections of the body. It generates a color-coded graphic with pressure zones ranging from low pressure (blue) to high pressure (red) (red). Look at the pressure map findings for the standard Helix Midnight below. The pressure maps of the luxe appeared to be fairly comparable.
Back Pain - According to these findings, the Helix Midnight performs an excellent job of reducing pain in the lower back. However, if you suffer from back discomfort, I choose the Midnight Luxe since it performs a better job of combining support and pressure alleviation in this region.
Shoulder Ache - Based on the map above, it appears that the regular Midnight may be a good option for sleepers who suffer from shoulder pain. It should provide sufficient cushion to prevent stiffness in that location. I believe the Helix Midnight Luxe would also be an excellent choice.
Hip Pain - Back sleepers with hip pain should be very comfortable on both Midnight models, since tests revealed very little pressure in the area. However, pressure began to grow around my hip on both models when side sleeping, so I believe these sleepers with hip problems should consider a softer choice for extra padding around the area. I believe these beds will be too soft for stomach sleepers suffering from hip trouble.
The amount of motion absorbed by a mattress is measured as motion transfer. It predicts how bothered you'll be by someone tossing and turning on the opposite side of your bed, which is why couples value it.
The basic Midnight does a fantastic job of isolating motion, so you shouldn't be bothered by a restless spouse on this bed. The Midnight Luxe didn't isolate motion as effectively as the Midnight Luxe, but it still performed an excellent job.
Performance During Sex
The finest sex mattress is usually responsive and simple to move about on. I believe the Midnight and Midnight Luxe would be suitable for sex. During intercourse, both beds should be somewhat simple to move about on.
Couples' beds should have cooling capabilities because two bodies generate more heat than one. Because of their breathable hybrid materials, the Midnight and Midnight Luxe both sleep cool. However, because of its Tencel cover, the Midnight Luxe sleeps somewhat cooler than the normal model. On the premium variant, you can also have a cooling blanket, which will draw more body heat away from the mattress.
Edge support is another factor to consider when purchasing a shared mattress. Can you spread out on your mattress and yet feel supported, or do you and your spouse have to huddle in the middle of the bed? Both Helix Midnight variants provide excellent edge support. At the edge of both mattresses, I felt safe. The luxury model, on the other hand, features edge support reinforcement on all four sides of the bed, whilst the basic model only has it on two.
Construction and Design for Helix Midnight
So, what exactly is within these beds? The Midnight is 12 inches tall and has four layers, while the Midnight Luxe measures 14 inches tall and has six layers. Let's take a closer look at each layer to understand more about it.
- Cover - is constructed of a light, elastic material that promotes ventilation, keeping you cool at night. It's quite soft to the touch.
- Comfort layer - The top layer is made of memory plus foam. When you lie on the mattress, this mixed foam should reduce pressure at the joints and provide a lovely contouring feel. Memory foam can occasionally make you feel "trapped" in your bed, but because the memory foam layer in this model isn't very deep, I don't expect many people having that problem.
- Transition Layer - A second layer of high-quality poly foam separates the memory foam from the pocketed coils underneath. This foam layer offers some support below the memory foam layer and provides a cushioning effect and greater ergonomic support for your body.
- Support layer - It's made up of individually wrapped coils. These support your body and give the bed a bouncy feel, so you don't feel "stuck" in the mattress or strain to turn over, get in and out of bed, or change positions.
- Base Layer - Finally, the mattress's foundation is created with a final layer of DuraDense foam for optimum support and to keep the mattress from sagging.
- Edge Support - The Midnight has reinforced edges on two sides, allowing you to sit or sleep near the edge.
Helix Midnight Unboxing and Off-Gassing
Both Helix Midnight mattresses, like any bed-in-a-box mattresses, will require a 24 to 72 hour off-gassing and decompression time after they are opened. If you are concerned about scents during this period, place your new bed in a well-ventilated area; this smell is harmless and should vanish within one or two days.
Helix Midnight Cost
Helix Midnight Policies and FAQs
Does the Helix Midnight mattress have a trial period?
Yes, both the Helix and the Helix Luxe come with a 100-night sleep trial.
Does the Helix Midnight have a mattress warranty?
Yes, the Helix Midnight comes with a 10-year warranty, while the Midnight Luxe comes with a 15-year warranty.
How is the Helix Midnight delivered?
The Helix Midnight is free to ship and will arrive in a box.
Does the Helix Midnight have an off-gassing period?
Yes, you will need to wait for gases to be released when the foam decompresses after unwrapping the Helix. However, the smell should fade within 24 to 72 hours.
What if I don’t like the Helix Midnight?
If you are dissatisfied with your new mattress, you can return it for a full refund after the 30-day "break in" period and before the conclusion of the 100-night trial term.
|Delivery||Approximately 2-4 business days|
|Trial Period||100 nights|
|Warranty||Helix Midnight has a 10-year warranty and the Midnight Luxe has a 15-year warranty.|
The Helix Midnight is quite comfy and supportive for sleeping on your back or side.
We liked how the Helix Midnight has strong edge support which allows you to utilize the entire bed. It also offers excellent motion isolation, making it an excellent choice for couples.
This bed is also great for combo sleepers. The mattress is springy and responsive. I believe the Luxe version is an excellent choice for anyone seeking all of the benefits of the original mattress model, but with increased plushness and support.
All-in-all, we loved the Helix Midnight and we believe it's a really safe and excellent choice to buy.
We can recommend the Helix Midnight easily, but it still doesn't take the top spot for the Best Luxury Hybrid Mattress, which still goes to the slightly superior Layla Hybrid Mattress.
Layla Hybrid Mattress
GET $200 OFF + FREE Comfy Bundle + 2 FREE Premium Pillows