Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress
The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress is one of the many mattresses Helix has to offer in the Luxe line. It is the Luxe version of the Helix Sunset mattress, which is Helix’s softest mattress to date. It is designed with premium materials and advanced technologies that enhance its overall performance for better sleep quality.
Ideal for lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight side sleepers.
Ideal for people looking for back and spine pain relief.
Ideal for people looking for a luxurious 7-star hotel feel at home.
Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress
Exclusive Discounts Available - Get The Best Price Now
Helix is a sleep brand known for its innovative designs for mattresses. They make a wide range of mattresses in three different collections. They include hybrid designs and memory foam mattresses, which are tailored to meet different needs and provide optimal comfort and support for all types of sleepers and body weights.
The Helix Sunset Luxe is a hybrid mattress crafted for a comfortable sleep experience. It is the upgraded version of the Helix Sunset mattress, Helix’s softest mattress, with the addition of high-quality design and materials.
Its design gives it the ability to reduce and eliminate pressure points, allowing you to sleep pain-free. Its soft firmness level does not compromise its capability to provide support and durability.
In this review, we'll cover:
- Pros and cons
- Unboxing experience
- Comfort and feel
- Construction and design
- Performance results
- Warranty and company policies, along with FAQs
Please note that we received the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress with the GlacioTex™ cooling cover and that all test results are based on this specific version.
Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress Overview
- Excellent Pressure Relief: The Helix Sunset Luxe is great at providing pressure relief in areas like the hips and shoulders. Its soft firmness profile allows it to cushion and contour your body’s curves, giving you ultimate pressure relief. The copper gel memory foam and responsive foam work together to alleviate any pressure points, helping you sleep without any discomfort or pain.
- Great Cushioning: This mattress cradles your body, enveloping you in its cool and comforting surface. This will appeal to individuals who enjoy a hug-like sensation or those who prefer some sinkage that usually comes from memory foam mattresses.
- Minimal Motion Transfer: The coil system in the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress contributes to great motion isolation. The coils are individually wrapped which allows them to move around independently. This will greatly reduce the chances of your partner’s sleep getting disrupted.
- Not for Stomach Sleepers: The kind of mattress stomach sleepers need is firm and can provide proper spinal alignment. The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress is too soft for stomach sleepers, as it will not elevate the hips and provide adequate support which will result in maximized pressure points and discomfort while sleeping.
- Pricey: The higher price point of the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress is justified by the use of high-quality materials and Helix’s special technologies which enhance its performance and give it additional features. However, this might not be convenient for people who are tight on a budget as they can find other mattresses that will align with their preferences.
Who we Recommend the Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress for
- Side Sleepers: Side sleepers tend to prefer mattresses that are more on the soft side of the firmness scale. Softer mattresses like the Helix Sunset Luxe provide the pressure relief needed in regions like the hips and shoulders, which helps maintain a healthy posture for your body.
- People who suffer from articular discomfort: The Helix Sunset Luxe includes several memory foam layers as well as the topmost premium cover which all provide comfort and body contouring. People with joint pain will greatly benefit from the evenly distributed pressure and alleviate stress in the joint areas.
Unboxing the Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress
Unboxing the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress was pretty easy. It came compressed in a box and was easy to unpack. The weight of the mattress varies depending on the size you ordered it in. However, it is always a good idea to get the help of a friend to carry the mattress around.
The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress did not last very long for full expansion, taking merely 2 hours to recover its shape. Softer mattresses tend to decompress much faster than firmer ones. The edges of the mattress also inflated to their original form shortly afterward. Indicating excellent corner expansion.
We got a slight initial smell upon unpacking the Sunset Luxe, this is normal as the mattress includes multiple memory foam layers that contain volatile organic compounds. However, the off-gassing period only took around 2 days which is quicker than the average off-gassing period of 3 days. You can always speed up this process by placing your mattress in a well-ventilated space.
Firmness, Feel, and Comfort For Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress
Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress Firmness
The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress has a soft firmness profile with a score of 3/10 on the firmness spectrum. It is the higher-quality version of the Helix Sunset mattress, which is considered to be Helix’s softest mattress.
Multiple layers of memory foam are integrated into this mattress’s construction. The Helix Responsive Foam serves as both a comfort layer and a transition layer for the mattress. It also includes a copper gel memory foam which cushions your body, making the mattress feel extra soft.
The top layer of the mattress is the premium cool pillow top which makes the surface of the bed more plush and soft. All these factors enhance the mattress’s ability to provide comfort and alleviate pressure points for a comfortable sleep experience.
Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress Feel
The sensation we felt from laying on the mattress was a plush and soft one. The mattress comes with a premium plush pillow top that adds comfort to it and cradles your body. This will leave you with a cloud-like feel and extra comfort.
This pillow top can be customized to your personal preference. You get to choose between the GlacioTex™ cooling cover and the TENCEL™ cover which are both highly breathable, moisture-wicking, and effectively cool to sleep on.
The level of sinkage we felt was notable, which will benefit individuals who look for a soft mattress that gives them a cushiony feel. Some people like the feel of memory foam due to its great comfort.
Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress Comfort
Mattresses feel different depending on the body weight and sleeping position. We carried out a few tests to monitor the mattress’s performance in terms of comfort based on those two factors.
The Helix Sunset Luxe felt most comfortable for side sleepers, especially those of average body weight. This mainly comes from the mattress’s great ability to relieve pressure in the hip and shoulder areas. We did notice, however, some discomfort for stomach sleepers and plus-size sleepers.
|Lightweight (Under 150 lb)
|Average (150 – 250 lb)
|Above Average (Over 250 lb)
We will later cover the results shown in our pressure relief performance test.
Constructions, Materials, and Design
Materials and Design
The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress features premium materials including a customizable pillow top. You get to choose between the TENCEL™ and the GlacioTEX™ cooling cover. It gives a soft and plush feel due to the integration of foam layers, like the Helix Responsive Foam, the Copper Gel Memory Foam, and the transition layer. It includes individually wrapped coils which gives the mattress support and durability. Finally, we have the transition layer which creates a seamless transition between the comfort and support layers, and the DuraDense foam as the foundation of the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress.
Here's what inside Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress:
- Cooling Pillow Top: This premium cover is the uppermost layer of the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress. It is designed to give you a plush and soft feel while lying on it. You can personalize it by choosing between the ultra-breathable TENCEL™ cover and the GlacioTex™ Cooling Cover. Both options work great in maintaining a cool and dry sleep surface, allowing you to rest without the possibility of overheating at night.
- Helix Responsive Foam: This layer adds to the soft firmness profile of the Helix Sunset Luxe bed. It conforms to your body’s natural shape and cradles it, resembling a hug. It enhances the overall comfort of the mattress by providing great cushioning.
- Copper Gel Memory Foam: This layer of memory foam incorporates copper which naturally gives a cooling effect by dissipating heat away from the mattress. It is a high-density gel foam that gives you exceptional pressure relief and comfort. It contours to your body, allowing you to sleep comfortably.
- Transition Layer: This layer of Helix Responsive Foam is integrated into the structure of this mattress for a smooth transition between the soft comfort layers and the support layers. It adapts to the movements of your body which elevates the responsiveness of the mattress, making it easier for you to move around.
- Wrapped Coils: The Helix Sunset Luxe includes up to 1,000 individually wrapped coils. This individual wrap design allows each coil to move on its own, which minimizes motion transfer which is great for people who share a bed. While the mattress can be soft, these coils give it support and durability for prolonged use and more longevity.
- DuraDense Foam: This dense foam layer acts as the base of the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress. It helps secure all layers in place and acts as a foundation for the mattress. It also enhances the durability and longevity of the mattress.
Performance of Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress
The cooling features in a mattress are crucial for a comfortable sleep experience. This is especially true for people who sleep hotter during the night. A cool sleep surface ensures restful sleep, free of the worry over overheating.
To carry out our standard cooling test, we lie down on the mattress for 20 minutes, waiting for the bed to absorb body heat, and then measure the temperature of the mattress.
The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress left no signs of body heat buildup and we did not feel it warm up during our test. This means it performed well in terms of temperature regulation and dissipating heat away from the mattress.
This mattress comes with a customizable cover in which you get to choose between the TENCEL cover and the GlacioTEX cover. Both options provide you with exceptional cooling effects by being highly breathable which allows for a ton of airflow. They also give you a cool and soft-to-the-touch feel when sleeping on the surface of the bed.
The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress scores a 4.8/5 on our cooling test.
The responsiveness of a mattress indicates how quickly it’ll adjust to the switch of position. A responsive mattress is great for combination sleepers as it will allow for swift position shifting and will prevent them from getting any “stuck” feeling.
For our responsiveness test, we use a 20-pound ball. Once fully rested, we measure how long the mattress takes to recover and retain its original shape.
The time this mattress took to recover is 0.7 seconds which is slightly above the average response time of 0.4 seconds. The soft firmness profile of this bed is expected to make it less responsive, however, with the Helix Sunset Luxe, we didn’t feel it to be an issue.
The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress contains layers of Helix Responsive Foam which is known for its adaptibility to body movements. It gives you a more dynamic experience while sleeping on this bed, without feeling like your movement is restricted in any way.
We suggest this mattress to people who switch through positions during their sleep, or couples as it’ll allow for ease of movement without feeling any excessive sinkage levels.
We rate the Helix Sunset Luxe a 4.3/5 for responsiveness.
The most important factor in a mattress for couples is its ability to isolate motion. A mattress that can do so will absorb and reduce the transfer of movement, allowing you or your partner to sleep without any disruptions.
For our first test, we placed a glass of water on one side of the mattress and dropped a 20-pound ball on the other. The water moved very slightly around, which meant the mattress did not absorb enough motion.
In the second test, one person lay on the mattress while another rolled around on the other side of the bed. The person lying at rest reported that they felt some movement from the other side. However, they aren’t disturbing.
The Helix Sunset Luxe performed average when it comes to motion isolation, that's to it being soft. However, since there are responsive foams in the construction of this mattress it makes it less efficient when absorbing motion.
Regarding motion isolation, the Helix Sunset Luxe scores a 4/5.
Edge support is essential for a bigger sleep surface and for maintaining the mattress’s structural integrity. This is beneficial, especially for people who prefer to sleep or sit on the sides of the bed.
We tested out edge support performance by applying pressure to the edges of the mattress and observing to see its level of compression. We noticed that it didn’t compress, and the edges sprung back to their shape.
We also sat on the edges of the bed and did not feel significant levels of sinkage. This is great for people who want maximized usable space across the mattress, especially those who prefer to sleep or sit on the edge of the bed.
The edge support on the Helix Sunset Luxe was surprisingly great. Usually, soft mattresses struggle in this department. However, the Sunset Luxe felt secure and stable when we sat and lay on the edge of the mattress.
This mattress comes with individually wrapped coils that are reinforced, which enhances the durability around the perimeter of the mattress, resulting in great edge support performance.
We give the Helix Sunset Luxe bed a 4.5/5 for edge support.
Having a quiet sleep environment is necessary for a restful and undisturbed sleep. Mattresses with coil systems integrated into them are more like to emit noise, such as squeaks or creaks.
We conducted our standard noise test by dropping a 20-pound ball onto the mattress. With the Helix Sunset bed, we used highly sensitive microphones to listen for any noises produced, but none were heard.
It is expected of the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress to produce noise for its inclusion of coils in its structure. This mattress, however, did not emit any noise and performed excellently at absorbing any noise emission. This prevents noises that might cause disturbance while sleeping, ensuring a quiet night’s sleep.
We give the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress a 5/5 for noise performance.
The sex performance of a mattress depends on things like bounce, responsiveness, noise, and edge support. The perfect mattress for intimate moments can provide support while allowing for ease of movement.
Regarding edge support, we previously tested the Helix Sunset Luxe and concluded that it has excellent edge support which gives couples a feeling of security while using the sides of the bed and gives the mattress a sturdy construction.
The Helix Sunset Luxe showed high bounce levels as a result of its high responsiveness, it transfers motion effectively, allowing partners to move around easily on the surface of the mattress without feeling stuck or restricted.
Lastly, in terms of noise performance, the Helix Sunset Luxe doesn’t struggle as it deals with no issues regarding any noises or squeaks produced by the mattress during the movement of you or your partner.
The Helix Sunset Luxe mattress rates a 4.5/5 for sex performance.
Pressure relief is an important factor in the prevention of pain or discomfort while sleeping. Some areas are more prone to form pressure points like the shoulders and hips. Alleviating pressure enhances comfort and promotes better sleep quality.
Our pressure relief test is conducted by using a pressure mapping system to measure the pressure levels throughout the body while lying on the bed.
The pressure map below displays the results we collected.
- Hip Region: The pressure in the hips region showed a consistent blue color which indicates non-existent levels of pressure. This means that the Helix Sunset Luxe is performing well at minimizing pressure points in the hip area which is very beneficial for side sleepers.
- Back Region: On the pressure map, the blue and green colors were shown regarding the back area which tells us the very minimal levels of pressure. This indicates a good level of pressure relief for the back region which will be more than enough for most average-weight back sleepers.
- Shoulders Region: The shoulders area showed great results, as only blue colors were shown on the pressure map. This refers to great pressure relief in this area.
Overall, we believe the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress scored a 4.8/5 on our pressure relief test.
Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress Warranty and Company Policies
Helix offers a 15-year warranty that covers manufacturing defects in your Helix Sunset Luxe mattress. These defects include flaws in the materials, foam splits, and other defects that you can check out on their website.
Helix provides customers with a 100-night sleep trial that allows them to test out their mattress before deciding on keeping it or not. We suggest giving your Helix Sunset Luxe mattress a minimum of 20 days to fully adjust to it before making your final decision.
If you conclude that the Helix Sunset Luxe is not the right bed for you, you can request a return of your mattress, and customer service will issue a refund for you.
Shipping is available for free in the United States with Helix mattresses. Your mattress will ship compressed in a box and you can track the shipping time of your order on their website.
The prices and variety of sizes are shown in the table below. Prices are before discounts, so make sure to check out their website.
|38″ x 75″ x 13.5″
|38″ x 80″ x 13.5″
|54″ x 75″ x 13.5″
|60″ x 80″ x 13.5″
|76″ x 80″ x 13.5″
|72″ x 84″ x 13.5″
The Helix Sunset Luxe's excellent pressure relief and supportive construction truly justify its value within its price range, making it a great choice for most sleepers.
|15-Year Warranty Mattress
|100-Nights Free Trial!
|Free Shipping in the United States
|Zero Interest - Via Affirm
|Country of Origin
|Proudly made in the United States
FAQs about Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress
Is the Helix Sunset Luxe too soft?
The Helix Sunset Luxe scores a 3/10 on the firmness scale which makes it a soft mattress. This is considered softer than the average mattress. It incorporates several memory foam layers as well as the top plush pillow top which all add to its soft feel. This might fit side sleepers, but will certainly feel too soft for stomach and heavy sleepers.
Does the Helix Sunset Luxe sag?
The question of sagging may be raised regarding the soft profile of the Helix Sunset Luxe. However, Helix mattresses are known for their solid construction. They include Helix’s special DuraDense foam, which is a dense memory foam that acts as a base for the mattress and gives it high durability.
What is the difference between Helix Moonlight Luxe and Helix Sunset Luxe?
Both are part of Helix’s Luxe line of mattresses. However, the Sunset Luxe is made with regular memory foam layers as opposed to the Moonlight Luxe, which includes polyfoam which is known to be more responsive and stretchy than standard memory foam.
Does the Helix Sunset Luxe have fiberglass?
All Helix mattresses are made with visco-elastic memory foam. They do not use fiberglass, which is a great thing to consider. Fiberglass can cause harm when in contact with human or animal skin and cause eye irritations.
We recommend the Helix Sunset Luxe mattress to side sleepers and people who struggle with joint pain. It’ll provide them with great pressure and pain relief for a more comfortable and restful sleep experience. This mattress will also appeal to people who prefer some sinkage and cushioning, or a soft and plush feel.
Helix Sunset Luxe Mattress
Exclusive Discounts Available - Get The Best Price Now