Douglas Summit Mattress
The Douglas Summit is the highest peak in Douglas mattresses. It's not just a lofty claim—it's a fact. This all-foam mattress offers a balanced feel with ecoLight cooling gel memory foam, latex-like Elastex foam, and polyfoam. It has a medium-firm feel with a great balance of motion isolation and responsiveness. The Summit is comfortable, supportive, and cool.
Ideal for lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight back sleepers.
Ideal for lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight side sleepers.
Offers excellent motion isolation and other features with couples in mind.
Ideal for hot sleepers who would like to stay cool at night.
Ideal for people looking for back and spine pain relief.
Douglas Summit Mattress
Exclusive Discounts Available - Get The Best Price Now
GoodMorning.com, Canada's largest independent online mattress company, founded Douglas Mattresses in 2009. Douglas mattresses are designed, handcrafted, and tested for Canadian sleepers. They are made with the best high-performance foams and textiles from Canada's top manufacturers.
The Douglas Summit is a 12-inch foam mattress that is Douglas's most popular and luxurious mattress. It is made with high-quality Canadian materials, including ecoLight cooling gel memory foam, latex-like Elastex foam, and polyfoam. The Summit offers enhanced cooling features and a more robust comfort system and support core than the Douglas Original.
In this review, we will test the Douglas Summit mattress, specifically regarding:
- Pros and cons.
- Unboxing experience.
- Feel and comfort.
- Construction and design.
- Performance test results.
- Warranty policies, company policies, and all the FAQs you might want to know.
Douglas Summit Overview
- Pressure Relief: The ecoLight® cooling gel foam is designed to conform to your body, providing excellent pressure relief. This is especially beneficial for people who suffer from back pain or other pain conditions. The memory foam will conform to the shape of your body, evenly distributing your weight and relieving pressure points.
- Motion isolation: The Douglas Summit mattress does a good job of isolating motion, so you will not be disturbed by your partner's movements.
- Has an RV version: The Douglas Summit mattress is also available in an RV version, which is perfect for RVers or people who travel frequently. The RV version of the Douglas Summit mattress is lightweight and easy to move, making it ideal for small spaces. It is also made with durable materials that can withstand the rigors of travel. Check out our review of the Douglas Summit RV mattress.
- Long Trial Period: The Douglas Summit mattress comes with a 365-night risk-free sleep trial, one of the longest in the industry. This means that you can try the mattress out for up to a year and return it for a full refund if you are not satisfied. This gives you plenty of time to test out the mattress and make sure that it is the right fit for you.
- Cool: The Douglas Summit mattress is designed to stay cool all night long, thanks to its triple-action cooling system. The CryoFusion™ cooling nanofibres in the cover helps to wick away moisture, while the ecoLight® cooling gel foam dissipates body heat. The Polar® phase-change material balances the temperature of the sleep surface, ensuring that you stay comfortable all night long.
- May be too soft for some: The Douglas Summit mattress is known for its great support, but sleepers who weigh more than 250 pounds may find that they sink slightly into the mattress. This is because the mattress is designed to be medium-firm, and may not provide enough support for heavier sleepers.
Who we Recommend the Douglas Summit for
- If you want an affordable, high-quality mattress: The Douglas Summit mattress is a well-priced option that provides sleepers with a more accessible luxury mattress.
- Couples: The Douglas Summit mattress has motion-absorbing layers that contour and isolate motion. This means that if your partner moves around in bed, you are less likely to be disturbed.
- For those who want a latex-free mattress: The Douglas Summit mattress is a latex-free mattress. This is a great option for people who are allergic to latex.
- People who are indecisive: The Douglas Summit mattress comes with a 365-night risk-free sleep trial. This means that you can try the mattress out for up to a year and return it for a full refund if you are not satisfied. This gives you plenty of time to test the mattress out and make sure that it is the right fit for you.
- Hot Sleepers: The Douglas Summit mattress is a good option for hot sleepers because it has several features that help keep you cool. These features include ecoLight® cooling gel foam, CryoFusion™ cooling nanofibres, and Polar® phase-change material. In addition to these features, the Douglas Summit mattress is also designed to provide good airflow.
Unboxing the Douglas Summit
Douglas knows that the unboxing experience is an important part of the customer journey, so they make sure it is smooth and hassle-free. The Douglas Summit mattress is delivered rolled and compressed in a box.
To set it up, you simply need to unbox it, remove the plastic wrap, and place it on your bed. The mattress weighs between 47 and 102 pounds, but since it is compressed, it is easier to move. However, it is still a good idea to have someone help you position it on the bed frame.
We easily removed the mattress from the box and placed it on our bed. It took about a minute for the mattress to expand to its full height of 12 inches. The Douglas Summit mattress has excellent corner expansion, which means that the corners of the mattress expand all the way to the very ends. This provides excellent support throughout the entire surface area of the bed and makes the mattress look sleek.
Bed-in-a-box mattresses are notorious for off-gassing, which is when chemicals from the foam are released into the air. This can cause a strong, unpleasant odor that can be harmful to some people.
The Douglas Summit mattress is different. It's made with CertiPUR-US certified foam, which means it has low VOC levels and produces less odor. This means you can enjoy your new mattress without worrying about the off-gassing smell.
Firmness, Feel, and Comfort For Douglas Summit
Douglas Summit Firmness
When it comes to mattresses, firmness is an important consideration. A mattress that is too firm can be uncomfortable, while a mattress that is too soft may not provide enough support. The Douglas Summit mattress strikes the perfect balance between comfort and support, with a firmness rating of 6.5 out of 10.
This medium-firm feel is ideal for most people, including average sleepers and lighter sleepers. It is not too soft, so it will not sag under your weight, and it is not too firm, so it will not cause pressure points. The Douglas Summit mattress provides the right amount of support to keep your spine in alignment and relieve pressure points.
Douglas Summit Feel
The Douglas Summit mattress is a cooling memory foam mattress that works by absorbing your body heat and then using that heat to soften the bed. This creates a comfortable and supportive sleep environment that is perfect for hot sleepers.
When you first lie down on the Douglas Summit, you will feel a slight cooling sensation. This is because the mattress is made with a soft, breathable fabric that is infused with CryoFusion™ cooling nanofibres. These nanofibres are designed to help regulate body temperature and prevent overheating.
As you continue to lie on the mattress, you will sink deeper and feel the mattress conform to your body. This is because the memory foam in the mattress is designed to provide pressure relief and support. The Douglas Summit has a medium-firm feel, which is ideal for most people. It is not too soft, so it will not sag under your weight, and it is not too firm, so it will not cause pressure points.
Douglas Summit Comfort
Our team of testers with a variety of sleeping styles put the Douglas Summit mattress to the test.
We found that it's an excellent choice for back and side sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds. Lightweight sleepers should feel comfortable in all three sleeping positions. However, the mattress may not be as comfortable for stomach sleepers or heavyweight sleepers.
This will be further evaluated in our pressure relief performance testing section.
|Sleeper Weight||Back Sleepers||Side Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers|
|Lightweight (Under 130 lb)||Excellent||Excellent||Excellent|
|Average (130 – 230 lb)||Excellent||Excellent||Very Good|
|Above Average (Over 230 lb)||Excellent||Excellent||Good|
Constructions, Materials, and Design
Materials and Design
The Douglas Summit mattress is a high-quality mattress. It is 12 inches thick and has a medium-firm feel, providing pressure relief and support.
The mattress is made from layers of CertiPUR-US® foam that meet strict standards for emissions and content. Douglas mattresses are manufactured with premium Canadian-made foams and fabrics, and this mattress has a red and white color scheme and mountain-inspired design details.
- Douglas CoolSense Cover - The top layer of the Douglas CoolSense mattress is a machine-washable cover made from sustainable Infinitex™ fibers. These fibers are made from recycled plastic bottles, which makes them environmentally friendly. The fibers are also infused with a cooling agent, which helps keep the mattress cool to the touch.
- ecoLight Cooling Gel Foam - A 2.5-inch layer of memory foam that is infused with a cooling agent. This helps to keep the mattress cool to the touch, even if you sleep hot. Memory foam is a type of foam that conforms to your body, which can help relieve pressure points and improve sleep quality.
- Premium Elastex Foam - A 2.5-inch layer of memory foam that provides the mattress with a comfortable and supportive feel. The memory foam conforms to your body, which can help relieve pressure points and improve sleep quality. The foam also has a slight bounce, which makes it easy to move around on the mattress.
- Motion Isolation Support Foam - A 7-inch high-density foam layer that provides superior motion isolation. This means that you and your partner are less likely to be disturbed by each other's movements, and you'll also have more support when you sleep on the edge of the bed.
Performance of Douglas Summit
The Douglas Summit is a mattress that is designed to help couples and hot sleepers stay cool and comfortable all night. It has a triple-action cooling system that includes a cooling cover, cooling gel foam, and phase-change material. These features help to dissipate heat, draw heat away from the body, and regulate the temperature of the bed.
The Douglas Summit mattress is an exception to the rule that memory foam mattresses can feel warm. The top cover of the mattress is interwoven with cooling nanofibres, which makes the cover noticeably cool to the touch.
We performed a cooling performance test on the mattress by lying on it for 20 minutes and monitoring for heat retention. We found that the mattress performed very well, feeling exceptionally cool throughout the test with no heat buildup. However, if you are a heavy sleeper, you might sink a bit and feel that the mattress isn't the best for you.
Accordingly, we gave it a 4.7/5 for its cooling performance.
A responsive mattress quickly springs back into place when you move, allowing you to change positions easily and freely without feeling stuck.
The Douglas Summit mattress is responsive, thanks to its Elastex polyfoam middle layer. This layer provides a moderate bounce that helps you change sleeping positions quickly and easily.
Memory foam is known for hugging the sleeper and limiting movement. However, the memory foam layer in the Douglas Summit mattress is not as thick as it is on some other beds. This means that if you weigh less than 230 pounds, you should find that you are not sinking into the mattress and that you can still move around easily.
In our standard responsiveness test, we placed a 20-pound ball on the mattress and then removed it. The mattress fully recovered in exactly 1.8 seconds, which is good. This indicates that the Douglas Summit mattress is responsive and will not restrict your movement.
That's why we rated this mattress a 4.1/5 regarding responsiveness.
The Douglas Summit mattress is designed to provide excellent motion isolation, which is important for couples who share a bed.
Motion isolation is the ability of a mattress to reduce the amount of movement transferred between partners. This is important because it can help you get a better night's sleep by minimizing disturbances from your partner's movements.
The Douglas Summit mattress achieves excellent motion isolation through its thick memory foam layers. Memory foam is known for its ability to absorb and distribute movement, which helps prevent it from being transferred to your partner.
In our tests, we placed a glass of water on the mattress and dropped a 20-pound ball on the opposite side of the glass. The water in the glass did not move much, indicating that the Douglas Summit mattress has excellent motion isolation.
We also performed a second test, where we rolled on one side of the bed and had our partner report the motion they felt on the other side of the bed. Our partner did not feel any motion propagation on their side of the bed, which further confirms that the Douglas Summit mattress has excellent motion isolation.
Therefore, the Douglas Summit earns a well-deserved 4.9/5 regarding motion isolation.
Edge support is important for preventing us from rolling off the bed or feeling like we are falling out when we sit on the edge. We found that the Douglas Summit mattress has good edge support, thanks to the firmer Elastex polyfoam layer.
We applied firm pressure to the edge of the mattress with both hands and observed the edge's counterpressure and supportiveness. We noticed sufficient counterpressure when we pushed the mattress' edge, which prevented it from sinking too much. This is a sign of good edge support.
We also conducted a second test by sitting on the edge of the mattress to measure how much it would sink. The Douglas Summit mattress does not offer amazing edge support here. When we sat down on the edge, it collapsed a little, but not so much that we would fall off. This is because the mattress is a plush all-foam mattress, and foam mattresses do not typically have as much edge support as innerspring mattresses.
Which is why we give it a 3.9/5 regarding edge support.
The Douglas Summit mattress was tested for noise by dropping a 20-pound ball onto it and listening for any squeaks or noises using highly sensitive microphones.
During the test, we did not hear anything. The Douglas Summit mattress was completely silent. This is impressive, but not surprising, as memory foam layers muffle and absorb noise and there are no coils.
As a result of the noise test, we gave the Douglas Summit mattress a 5/5 rating for noise.
When choosing a mattress for sex, there are four key factors to consider: how bouncy it is, how well it keeps you cool, how much edge support it provides, and how noisy it is.
The Douglas Summit mattress is a good all-around mattress that performs average in all aspects. It is not as bouncy as some other mattresses, but it is still comfortable for most people. It provides good edge support, so couples can move around freely without worrying about rolling off the bed. And it is completely silent.
Overall, the Douglas Summit mattress is a great choice for couples who are looking for a comfortable, supportive, and quiet mattress for sex. It received a rating of 4.5 out of 5.
Pressure relief is one of the most important factors to consider when choosing a mattress. A mattress that provides good pressure relief will help keep your body evenly supported and prevent pressure points from forming. This can significantly affect the way you sleep and your sleep quality.
The Douglas Summit mattress offers excellent pressure relief. This is thanks to the 2.5 inches of memory foam in the top layer, which conforms to the body's contours and helps to distribute weight evenly. The mattress also contains a resilient middle polyfoam layer and a thick 7-inch polyfoam base, which provide added support.
Our pressure mapping tests showed that the Douglas Summit mattress performs especially well for side sleepers and people weighing less than 130 pounds. This is because the mattress's medium-firm feel provides enough cushioning to relieve pressure without being too soft. However, it may be too soft for some sleepers over 230 pounds
Back sleepers will appreciate the Douglas Summit's ability to keep their spine in alignment. The mattress's medium-firm feel provides enough support to prevent the back from sinking too far into the mattress, while the memory foam layer contours to the body to relieve pressure points.
Side sleepers will also find the Douglas Summit to be a comfortable and supportive mattress. The memory foam layer conforms to the body to relieve pressure points in the shoulders and hips, and the mattress's medium-firm feel provides enough support to prevent the hips from sinking too far into the mattress.
Stomach sleepers may find the Douglas Summit to be too soft. The mattress's medium-firm feel does not provide enough support for the hips, which can cause the lower back to arch. However, lightweight stomach sleepers may find the mattress comfortable enough.
Combination sleepers will appreciate the Douglas Summit's responsiveness. The mattress's memory foam layer contours to the body when you first lie down, but it also bounces back quickly when you move. This makes it easy to change positions throughout the night without disrupting your partner.
We gave this mattress a 4.8/5 regarding pressure relief.
Douglas Summit Warranty and Company Policies
The Douglas Summit mattress is protected against defects in materials and workmanship for 20 years. If the mattress develops a defect, such as a sag or a tear, it will be repaired or replaced for free. The warranty does not cover damage caused by improper use, such as using an inadequate bed frame, or damage from spills and stains.
Douglas Summit mattresses come with a 365-night sleep trial. This means you can try out the mattress for up to a year and return it for a full refund if you're not satisfied. The trial period is one of the longest available, giving you plenty of time to make sure the mattress is right for you.
You can try out the Douglas Summit mattress for up to a year. If you are not satisfied, you can return it for a full refund. However, you must keep the mattress for at least 30 days to allow your body to adjust to the new mattress.
Douglas mattresses offer free shipping to most locations in Canada. However, they charge a $250 shipping fee to some Canadian Territories or certain remote areas. The shipping fee is non-refundable and is not included in the price of the mattress. It will be charged at checkout. In the United States, you can get free shipping from GoodMorning.com.
The table below shows the prices for the Douglas Summit mattress in different sizes. The prices are before any discounts have been applied. You can find the latest discounts on the Douglas website .
|Twin||38″ x 74″ x 12″||C$999|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80″ x 12″||C$1,049|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 12″||C$1,149|
|Queen||60″ x 80″ x 12″||C$1,299|
|King||76″ x 80″ x 12″||C$1,399|
|Cal King||72″ x 84″ x 12″||C$1,399|
|Split King||38″ x 80″ x 12″ (x2)||C$2,098|
The Douglas Summit mattress offers exceptional value for its price. It delivers cooling, motion isolation, and pressure relief, which are high-quality features not typically found in mattresses at this price point. That's why the Douglas Summit mattress scored a strong 5/5 for value.
|Warranty||20-Year Warranty Mattress|
|Trial||365-Nights Free Trial|
|Return Policy||Free Returns|
|Shipping||Free Shipping in Canada and US|
|Financing Options||Interest-free financing via PayBright|
|Country of Origin||Proudly made in Canada|
FAQs about the Douglas Summit mattress
Who is the Douglas Summit mattress best for?
The Douglas Summit mattress is a great option for people who are looking for a comfortable, supportive, and cool mattress. It is also a good option for people who are prone to tossing and turning, as the mattress helps to minimize motion transfer.
Is the Douglas Summit mattress Memory foam?
The Douglas Summit mattress is a memory foam mattress, and it features two layers of memory foam. The top layer is made of ecoLight® cooling gel foam, which is infused with a cooling agent to help keep the mattress cool to the touch. The middle layer is made of Elastex® foam, which is designed to provide the mattress with just the right amount of bounce.
What are some of the reviews of the Douglas Summit mattress?
The Douglas Summit mattress has received rave reviews from customers. Many customers have praised the mattress for its comfort, support, and cooling features. The mattress has also received a number of awards.
If I have pets, is the Douglas Summit mattress a good choice?
The Douglas Summit mattress is a good option for pet owners because it is durable and easy to clean. The ecoLight® cooling gel foam is also made with CertiPUR-US certified foams, which are safe for both you and your pet. However, it is important to supervise your pet to prevent them from damaging the mattress.
If you're in the Canadian market for a memory foam mattress and you value cooling pressure relief, and motion isolation, then the Douglas Summit mattress is the perfect choice for you. This mattress will help you sleep better, feel better, and wake up feeling refreshed and energized, even on those hot summer days.
Douglas Summit Mattress
Exclusive Discounts Available - Get The Best Price Now