Sealy Response Carver 13.5-inch Plush Mattress
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush is a discontinued soft spring core mattress from the Response product line. It is 13.5 inches thick and has a plush feel. The mattress is made with a combination of innerspring coils and memory foam.
Ideal for lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight side sleepers.
Layla Hybrid Mattress
GET $200 OFF + 2 FREE Premium Pillows + Extra $50 Off at Checkout
Sealy is one of the most popular mattress brands in the United States. They have been making mattresses for over 140 years and offer a wide variety of mattresses to choose from, including innerspring, memory foam, and hybrid mattresses.
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush is a discontinued mattress. However, it is still sought after by many people, even though it is no longer being made.
In this review, we will focus on the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress, specifically regarding:
- Pros and cons.
- Unboxing experience.
- Feel and comfort.
- Construction and design.
- Performance test results.
- Warranty policies, company policies, and all the FAQs you might want to know.
Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush Overview
- Provides pressure relief for side sleepers: The soft top layer of the mattress conforms to the body and helps to alleviate pressure points, which is important for side sleepers.
- Soft and comfortable: The mattress is soft and comfortable, which can be a plus for some people.
- Not supportive for back or stomach sleepers: This means that the mattress may not provide enough support for people who sleep on their back or stomach. These sleep positions require more support than side sleeping, so a soft mattress may not be the best choice for these people.
- Not durable: The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress has been criticized for its lack of durability. Some people have reported that the mattress has sagged or become lumpy after only a few months of use.
- No longer available from Sealy: This means that you may have to buy the mattress from a third-party retailer, which may make it more difficult to return or exchange if you are not satisfied with it.
- Not good for couples: The soft and plush feel of the mattress may not be ideal for couples who move around a lot during the night, as it can make it easy to disturb each other.
Who do we Recommend the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush for
- Side Sleepers who are loyal to Sealy: If you are a side sleeper who is loyal to Sealy, you may be considering the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress. However, it is important to note that there are better options available, such as the SONU Sleep System, that are made for side sleepers.
Unboxing the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush
Whether Sealy mattresses are shipped compressed in a box depends on the retailer. Some retailers ship Sealy mattresses compressed in a box, while others do not. The unboxing experience will also depend on the retailer.
When we received our mattress, it was compressed in a box. We first removed it from the box and carefully cut the plastic. The mattress was quite heavy to carry, but we managed to get it onto our bed frame. The mattress began to expand, but it took longer than we expected. The corners did not expand as quickly as we would have liked, and some corners looked floppy, indicating poor corner expansion.
Upon unboxing the Sealy Response Carver 13.5", we detected a faint chemical odor; however, this odor isn't harmful because the mattress is CertiPUR-US certified. Fortunately, it dissipated after 48 hours of airing out the mattress in a well-ventilated room. Overall, this was not the smoothest unboxing experience we've had.
Firmness, Feel, and Comfort For Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush
Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush Firmness
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress is considered a plush mattress, which means it is on the softer side of the firmness scale. It would fall between a 4 and a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest. This type of mattress is typically comfortable for side sleepers, as it can help relieve pressure on the shoulders and hips. However, it may not be supportive enough for back or stomach sleepers.
This mattress is made with a combination of foam and springs. The top layer is a soft foam that provides comfort, while the bottom layer is a supportive foam that provides structure. The mattress also has a pillow top, which adds to the comfort level.
Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush Feel
When you first see the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress, you are struck by its plush, pillowy top. The top layer of the mattress is made of soft foam that feels inviting and comfortable. The bottom layer of the mattress is made of supportive foam that provides a foundation.
When you first lie down on the mattress, the top layer feels like a gentle welcome. However, as you settle into the mattress, you may find that it starts to feel too soft. If it weren't for the coils in the bottom layer, you would sink very deeply into the mattress.
This softness may be appreciated by strict side sleepers, who need a mattress that will conform to their body and relieve pressure points. However, other sleepers may find the mattress too soft and not get the support they need.
Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush Comfort
We wanted to know how comfortable the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress would be for all sleepers, so we had our reviewers test it out. The results were mixed.
Some reviewers found the mattress comfortable, especially for side sleepers. The plush top layer conformed to their bodies and relieved pressure points. However, other reviewers found the mattress to be too soft, especially for stomach sleepers. They said that they did not get enough support and woke up with back pain.
Here is a table summarizing the comfort of the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress for different sleepers.
|Sleeper Weight||Back Sleepers||Side Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers|
|Lightweight (Under 150 lb)||Very Good||Good||Good|
|Average (150 – 250 lb)||Good||Very Good||Bad|
|Above Average (Over 250 lb)||Bad||Excellent||Bad|
We will conduct further testing to assess the mattress's ability to relieve pressure points later in our review.
Constructions, Materials, and Design
Materials and Design
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush is a hybrid mattress that combines innerspring coils and memory foam. The bottom layer of pocketed coils provides support and airflow, while the top layer of gel memory foam conforms to your body and relieves pressure points. The mattress also has a sleek cover.
However, there are better options on the market that are also eco-friendly. For example, the PlushBeds Signature Bliss mattress is made with natural and organic materials.
- Stretch-Knit Cover: This durable, soft knit fabric cover has moisture-wicking MoistureProtect™ to help you stay cool and comfortable and Surface-Guard Technology™, which protects the mattress surface from odors and staining caused by bacteria and common allergens.
- SealyCool™ Air Gel Foam: This foam delivers all the flexible, durable, and breathable benefits of SealyCool™ Gel Foam with an upgraded design shaped with peaks and valleys to aid airflow while you sleep.
- SealyCool™ Air Memory Foam: This layer of foam is similar to SealyCool™ Air Gel Foam, but it is made of memory foam. This means that it will conform to your body and provide pressure relief.
- Response Pro Encased Coil: The Response Pro Encased Coil is a new and improved version of the durable Response Coil. It is individually encased in fabric, which means that each coil can move independently.
Performance of Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress has promising cooling materials in its construction, but we wanted to put it to the test. We laid on the mattress for 20 minutes and monitored how much heat it retained.
At first, we felt fine. However, after we settled into the mattress and started to be cradled by the memory foam, we could feel a little heat buildup. Heavy sleepers will definitely feel the heat being trapped.
Despite having promising cooling materials, the mattress isn't the best at cooling. There are definitely others out there with a higher price tag, but they're worth every penny for their unique cooling technologies. For example, the Emma Luxe Cooling mattress and the Puffy Diamond mattress both use special materials and construction methods to keep you cool all night.
Therefore, we gave it a 3.5/5 for cooling.
A mattress that is more responsive will feel bouncier, while a mattress that is less responsive will feel more sink-in.
We assessed the responsiveness of the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress by placing a 20-pound ball on it and measuring how long it took for the mattress to return to its original shape after the ball was removed. The mattress bounced back to its original shape in about 1.5 seconds. This is due to the mattress's plushness and the memory foam.
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress is considered to be a moderately responsive mattress. It is not as bouncy as a traditional innerspring mattress, but it is not as sink-in as a memory foam mattress. So, we gave it a 3.8/5 for responsiveness.
Motion isolation is the ability of a mattress to reduce the transfer of motion from one sleeper to another.
We conducted two standard tests to assess the motion isolation performance of the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress. In the first test, we placed a glass half full of water on top of the mattress and dropped a 20-pound ball on the other side. The drop caused the water in the glass to visibly slosh around.
In the second test, we had one partner lie on one side of the mattress while the other partner rolled around on the other side. The partner lying still reported that they felt some movement.
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress has below-average motion isolation. The pocketed coils in the bottom layer do a good job of minimizing motion transfer, but they may not be as effective as some other mattresses, like the Layla Hybrid. This means that if you are a light sleeper or if your partner moves around a lot, you may still feel some disturbance. Therefore, we gave it a 2.9/5 for motion isolation.
There are a few different ways that mattresses can provide edge support. One way is to use pocketed coils. Pocketed coils are individually wrapped, which helps prevent them from collapsing under pressure. Another way to provide edge support is to use a tight top. A tight top is a layer of fabric that is sewn tightly around the edges of the mattress. This helps keep the mattress in place and prevents it from sagging.
When we sat on the edge of the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress, we could feel our body weight sinking in slightly, but we did not feel like we were going to fall off. When we applied firm pressure to the edges of the mattress, it did not spring back as quickly as some other mattresses. We were able to push more into it before feeling any counterpressure.
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress has good edge support, but it is definitely not the best we have tested. The pocketed coils in the bottom layer do a good job of preventing the mattress from sagging at the edges, but the tight top may not be as effective. This means that if you are a heavy sleeper or if you tend to sleep near the edges of the mattress, you may feel some sagging. Therefore, we gave it a 3.6/5 for edge support.
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress has average noise isolation. This means that it does a decent job of blocking out noise, but it is not the best at noise isolation.
The mattress has a plush top layer that is made of memory foam. Memory foam is known for being good at absorbing sound, so this helps to improve the noise isolation of the mattress. However, the mattress also has a pocketed coil system, which can make some noise when people move around on it.
We dropped a 20-pound ball on the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress to test its noise isolation performance. The impact of the ball caused a slight squeak. The sound was muffled and did not travel far, but it was noticeable. This suggests that the mattress has fair noise isolation.
We gave it a 4/5 for its performance.
A mattress that is considered good for sex is cool, bouncy, has good edge support, and is quiet. Unfortunately, the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress does not meet all of these criteria. For more information on each factor, please see the sections above. Overall, the mattress is considered decent, and we gave it a 3/5 rating.
Pressure relief is important in a mattress because it helps distribute your weight evenly and prevent pressure points. Pressure points are areas where your body weight is concentrated and can cause discomfort and pain.
We conducted a pressure mapping test to evaluate the pressure relief performance of the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress. In this test, we measured the pressure applied to different parts of a reviewer's body while they lay on the mattress for 20 minutes.
Our analysis of the pressure map results revealed the following:
- Back Sleepers: Back sleepers need a mattress that provides good support for their spine. The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress may be a good option for back sleepers who are lightweight or average-weight. The plush top layer will conform to their body and relieve pressure points, while the coils in the bottom layer will provide enough support to keep their spine in alignment. However, above-average-weight back sleepers may find the mattress to be too soft and may not get the support they need.
- Side Sleepers: Side sleepers need a mattress that will cradle their shoulders and hips and relieve pressure points. The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress is a good option for side sleepers. The plush top layer will conform to their body and relieve pressure points, while the coils in the bottom layer will provide enough support to keep their spine in alignment.
- Stomach Sleepers: Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress that will provide support for their spine. The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress is not a good option for stomach sleepers. The plush top layer will not provide enough support for their spine, and they may experience back pain.
Overall, the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress does not provide the best pressure relief. If you are looking for a mattress that will relieve pressure points and keep you pain-free, we recommend the Layla Hybrid. We gave the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush a 3.5/5 for pressure relief.
Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush Warranty and Company Policies
Sealy offers a 10-year warranty on its mattresses. However, since the mattress you are interested in is no longer available on their website, the warranty will depend on the retailer from which you purchase it.
Sealy offers a 90-day sleep trial for most of their mattresses, which is shorter than the trial periods offered by some other mattress brands. However, it is important to note that the trial period will vary depending on where you purchase the mattress.
If you are not satisfied with your Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush, you may be able to return it to the retailer for a full refund.
Delivery to the US, including Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, is available, but there are some exceptions. Orders shipped to these areas will have an additional shipping and handling charge calculated and applied at checkout. Shipping charges may apply, depending on the retailer the mattress is purchased from.
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" is no longer listed on Sealy's website and is not widely available at retailers. However, some retailers still sell it for under $2000.
Please note that Sealy's company policies may not apply to discontinued mattresses that are only offered by retailers.
|Country of Origin||Proudly made in the US|
FAQs about Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush
Why is the mattress discontinued?
Possible reasons for the discontinuation of the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress include poor sales, a focus on other mattresses, or changes to the manufacturing process.
Is the mattress worth buying?
No, the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress is not a good choice for most people because it is not very supportive, durable, or comfortable.
How long does a Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush last?
The Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress is discontinued, so its lifespan is uncertain. Sealy mattresses typically last 7–10 years with proper care.
If you are concerned about durability, consider a different mattress, such as the Layla Hybrid.
We do not recommend the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush mattress because it is discontinued and you will not be able to benefit from the company's policies.
There are many other mattresses that outrank the Sealy Response Carver 13.5" Plush and are a great value for the price. These mattresses are worth every penny and will provide you with a good night's sleep.
Layla Hybrid Mattress
GET $200 OFF + 2 FREE Premium Pillows + Extra $50 Off at Checkout