The Ikea Sultan is a great value mattress. However, if going a bit higher with the budget is an option for you, then consider going with better new alternatives to the Ikea Sultan Mattress.
We believe that going for such cheap budget mattresses is rarely a good option for your health.
Continue reading below to see our verdict about the Ikea Sultan, and the better options you should consider.
Too tired to read the detailed review & just want to know what mattress you should buy? Jump to the conclusion here.
Ikea Sultan Mattress
The Ikea Sultan Mattress is a discontinued foam mattress. The Ikea Sultan is an good budget mattress, however it's been long discontinued and replaced by much better alternatives.
Ideal for lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight back sleepers.
Ideal for lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight stomach sleepers.
Mino Hybrid Mattress
Click here to claim limited-time 50% discount.
The Ikea Sultan mattress is no longer being produced and has been discontinued.
For those who have their heart set on a Sultan mattress, there is some good news. The Sultan mattress is comparable in many ways to the Ikea Matrand mattress in terms of features and advantages. In terms of cost, construction, and specifications, they are fairly similar.
However, in our testing, we found that people who love the Ikea Sultan and Ikea Matrand where amazed by the great improvement in comfort that newer foam mattresses such as the Nolah Original Mattress or the Emma Original mattress.
We would advise going with a luxury mattress like the Nolah Original Mattress or the Emma Orignal mattress and consider treating your back and health with a proper foam mattress that improves your quality of life.
We always suggest forking up a good investment in your mattresses as it's a major improvement to your quality of life.
However, if buying a properly good mattress like those comparable recommendations is out of your budget, you might take a look at some budget alternatives such as the Zinus Green Tea Mattress.
Consider Ikea Sultan Mattress If:
- You're a stomach sleeper - This firm mattress is only 7" tall. Your spine remains upright because of the firm surface, which prevents your hips from sinking into the mattress. But keep in mind that it's nowhere near the best experience for stomach sleepers, as there are much better mattresses we recommend below for this.
- You prefer memory foam mattresses - However there are now newer foam mattresses that are much more responsive such as the budget-friendly Emma Original and the Nolah Original Mattress.
- You're on a tight budget - The Ikea Sultan mattress is discontinued, but the comparable Ikea Matrand mattress can be found usually for $249-$499 depending on the size. However, both budget options fall short when you compare them to something like the Zinus Green Tea Mattress.
Avoid Ikea Sultan Mattress If:
- Responsiveness - You want a mattress that feels responsive and won't make movement difficult. If you want a mattress that's better in that regard, we advise checking out the Layla Hybrid, which is a great responsive hybrid mattress. If you want a responsive, breathable mattress, definitely check out our Layla Hybrid review here.
- You're a side sleeper - Side sleepers will probably find the Ikea Sultan and Ikea Matrand mattresses uncomfortable. If you sometimes sleep on your side then definitely look into some of the more responsive mattresses.
- Good trial period (365 Days) - However warranty/return claims are far from being a good experience.
- Machine washable (you should always follow our recommended tips for washing your foam mattress)
- Great value for its price. But definitely not as good as new budget options like the Zinus Green Tea Mattress.
- Much better new alternatives - such as the Nolah Original Mattress or the Emma Original memory foam mattresses.
- Not suitable for hot sleepers - The memory foam material in the Ikea Sultan is not as breathable as you'd like.
- Feels hard to change sleeping positions in - The memory foam of the Ikea Sultan is slow and not responsive, which makes you feel stuck in the mattress.
- Budget materials - The materials used in the Sultan mattress are far from good quality.
Firmness, Feel & Comfort for Ikea Sultan Mattress
The Matrand receives an 8 out of 10 for firmness. This mattress is a good option for stomach sleepers who want a firm surface for proper spinal alignment.
This bed is suitable for stomach sleepers in addition to offering contouring support for back sleepers. In contrast, side sleepers will require a softer mattress to achieve comfortable side sleeping.
However, we found that although the Ikea Sultan's offers the best experience it can for stomach sleepers, it's far from a good stomach sleeping experience when you compare it to the luxury options you can get like our recommendations in this article.
Construction and Design for Ikea Sultan Mattress
- Height: 7 inches
- Machine washable
- Comfort layer: 2-inch thick and with contouring for an extra sinking feel
- 5 Inch layer of polyfoam for base support
Support & Motion Isolation for Ikea Sultan Mattress
Both the Sultan and the Matrand performed a good job at isolating motion. The all-foam construction provides adequate movement absorption.
Memory foam and polyfoam work together to guarantee that any movement is not felt throughout the entire mattress surface.
Ikea Sultan Returns & Warranty
Ikea doesn't provide transparent policies when it comes to returns. However, the Sultan mattress comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
|Trial Period||365 Days|
|Return Policy||Ikea doesn't provide transparent policies when it comes to returns|
In A Nutshell - Ikea Sultan Mattress
There aren't any significant reasons you should buy an Ikea Sultan Mattress. Ikea Sultan mattresses have been long discontinued, so they won't be available for purchase.
Also, there are now much newer foam mattresses with much better construction and materials such as the amazingly well-designed and budget-friendly Mino Hybrid and the more expensive high-tech Emma Original.
What Are Better Alternatives to the Ikea Sultan Mattress (in 2023)?
These 3 mattresses (in 2023) are some of the best you can buy if you care about your health, your wallet, and your sleep:
- Mino Hybrid Mattress - The Ultimate Budget Mattress. Even cheaper than the Ikea Sultan Mattress, and a huge upgrade in quality & comfort over the Sultan.
- Emma Original - The Best Mix of Value and Luxury. Beautiful, breathable, and ultra high-tech features. Balances between true luxury features and an unbeatable value.
- Layla Hybrid Mattress - Best Hybrid Mattress of 2023. If you're looking for a responsive hybrid mattress rather than memory foam, this is the one. (Read our review of the Layla Hybrid here)
Read our short, well-researched Best Mattresses of 2023, here.
We did the homework so you can buy the perfect mattress without any hassle.
The Ikea Sultan Mattress is a great budget mattress.
However, the Ikea Sultan mattress is discontinued. To add, the Ikea Sultan doesn't stand a chance against newer mattresses from specialized brands which offer much-improved responsiveness, materials, and cooling features.
Here are our takeaways:
- If you want the best value, get the Emma Original (much better materials quality and comfort at a great price).
- If you're looking for the ultimate budget mattress that's even cheaper than the Ikea Sultan, get the Mino Hybrid. (not as good as the previous option, but after testing nearly every budget mattress imaginable, it's the best mattress within this price range).
Mino Hybrid Mattress
Click here to claim limited-time 50% discount.